It’s a new year and we have big news. We started dreaming about what Wayfare would become over three years ago. It was our vision to create a workspace and support for organizations that would birth movements for the common good.
As we were forming the organization, we decided on the name Wayfare because it captured the heart behind our vision. The word Wayfare has a double meaning. It means the act of journeying. It also means provisions for the journey. This word clearly encompassed the community we envisioned—a community of creators, doers, and adventurers aspiring to pursue the common good and support each other in the journey.
Around the same time that we decided to name our company Wayfare, another company with a different mission and a similar name was on the rise. They made news as they received hundreds of millions in capital investment that year. As we became aware of their company, we explored the potential of any conflict associated with similar names. We didn’t see any conflict, and our lawyers agreed.
Recently however, their lawyers did not. So we are faced with a decision. We must decide how much time, energy, and money we want to spend in legal fees (the quick answer is zero…nobody wants to pay legal fees) to continue down the path of fighting to keep our name. We’ve chosen a different path.
In our startup programs, we advise organizations to quickly assess environmental changes and the big picture when experiencing challenges – to make sense of the situation and rapidly adjust. So we’ve taken our own advice and have decided to change our name while staying true to who we are…who you are. We’re going to redirect our energy and steward our resources in a positive direction to rename this community, and we want you, the community, included in the process.
While the name Wayfare is a great representation of our mission and this community, when we look at the big picture, we are struck with the amazing people that form this community, the wonderful hearts you have, and world-changing work you are doing. For that reason, we are thrilled to invite you into the process of renaming FLDWRK.
We are humbled and full of gratitude that the community of three who decided on the name is now a community of over 200 members who work out of our spaces or are currently participating in the startup programs. There are thousands of others who serve as advisors, have attended events, or have joined us on social media. You’ve been a part of this journey so far, and we want to continue this adventure along with you. YOU are Wayfare and we’re happy to release the name, because the community and the journey we are all on together matter more. And that is where we want to continue to invest the resources we have.
So, let’s go on another adventure together.
We’re having a contest to come up with a new name (yes, there are prizes) and we want ALL the ideas. We invite you to submit a name (or 20) for our rebranding, and the guidelines are as follows:
- The name captures our goals of having spaces where people can daily be supported in meaningful work AND simultaneously captures the mission of guiding founders and startups of missional enterprises and social good organizations (startup programs).
- The name communicates the concept of adventure, journeying, support, and encouragement in pursuit of the common good.
- Bonus points if the .com of the name is available or there’s an instagram/twitter handle available (but we can work around this, so if you have the perfect name submit it anyway)
- Extra bonus points if you submit a catchy hashtag
- Submit your ideas and an explanation!
- Submit as many ideas as you want as many times as you want.
- Anyone can participate (you don’t need to be a member to share your ideas)
- All submissions must be received by January 31st at 10 p.m.
One winner will receive:
- A $500 credit to be used toward our Startup Programs, Spaces, Meeting Rooms, or Event Fees
- $50 gift certificate to Sidecar Doughnuts
- $20 gift card to Neat Coffee
- Swag bag of goods with new branding
- Our eternal gratitude
So get your thinking caps on and let’s embark on the next phase of this journey together.
With extreme gratitude and excitement for the world’s best future,
Brandon Arbini & Jeff Tanner
Co-founders of the organization soon to be formerly known as Wayfare