At FLDWRK, our vision for the common good doesn’t end with providing coworking space and great coffee. We believe in living out of your full self. This concept of your full self is one that encourages the idea that our work, soul, and physical bodies should ideally be in this symbiotic dance: each one actively working towards the fullness of the other. In a quest to learn more about bridging this relationship, I thought, “What better place to start than in the fridge?”
Our brains work most effectively with about 25 grams of glucose in our blood stream - this is about the amount in a banana, or a 16 ounce glass of cold pressed juice. Even though your brain makes up only 2-3% of your total body mass, it’s responsible for burning 20% of the calories you eat daily, which is why it’s so critical to fuel it appropriately.
Here are quick tips + easy snacks to feed your brain strategically. Be intentional about building these habits, and you’ll see drastic changes in your personal and professional life. Also, stay tuned for Brain Food: Part 2, which includes a full menu specifically curated to fuel your workday.
- Drink water from the moment you wake up! While you were asleep, your body got dehydrated, and since your brain tissue is 75% water, you need water to help it operate at maximum capacity.
- Keep yourself hydrated with some water & fresh squeezed lemon. Water keeps your brain rolling, while lemon helps your body effectively digest its food and continually burn calories - even while you’re sitting.
- Make your eating decisions before you get hungry! (Plan your meals out daily or weekly). If you wait until your body is craving fuel, you’re craving quick energy which means you’ll choose options with high carbs and lots of sugar, and probably spend a lot more money by eating out.
- Eat smaller, lighter meals about every three hours so that you avoid food induced comas.
- Eat slower - it takes 15 minutes for your brain to let you know your body is full, so try to stretch your meal out to at least 20 minutes. Plus, digesting takes A LOT of your energy. This habit allows your body to phase in its digestion.
- 4 pm on a Wednesday and find yourself fading? Keep some trail mix handy for instant brain food.
Sliced banana + Sunflower butter: One banana contains that 25 grams of glucose it needs to function at its best capacity + Sun flower seeds have a huge impact on your mental processing ability and overall mood. Packed with B vitamins and thiamine, they also improve your memory!
Hummus with raw carrots: Raw carrots give you that steady level of blood sugar your brain needs to function. Hummus is made out of garbanzo beans, commonly known as chick peas. Chick peas are also high in antioxidants, and one of the most heart-healthy snacks that you can eat.
What’s your favorite snack to fuel your workday?